WHAT WAS BEHIND THE DENVER MURDERS?
Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, April 25, 1999, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia:
WHAT WAS BEHIND THE DENVER MURDERS?
By Michael D. O’Neal……Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church…… Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Romans 1:22-32
Text: Romans 1:29
Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Introduction: Nearly everyone in America is aware of the tragedy that took place in the Denver, Colorado area at Columbine High School. However, we all assume, “Well, it couldn’t happen here.” SURE it could happen here. Kids in Albany, Georgia could do what those two punks did, and worse!
I believe Romans 1 speaks to the situation at Columbine and describes many other young people today. It talks about “inventors of evil things,” such as pipe bombs. It talks about queers; by the way, did you hear the report that the student killers were sodomites? The chapter mentions people who are disobedient to parents; those parents had no idea that their kids would commit mass murder. And it talks about these people being “full of murder.” That describes them in detail. What was the cause of this horrible tragedy? This has been the subject of thousands of newspaper articles, internet discussions, radio and television talk shows, and conversations of people in their daily activities. As usual, I plan to give the final word on the subject. Well, it may not be “the” final word, but it will be closer to it than what most people propose, because the final word I will offer is based upon what “thus saith the Lord!”
I. A DISARMED FACULTY WAS PART OF THE PROBLEM
Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
A. They did not have GOD, so they were unable to properly promote the Bible and true righteousness
B. They did not have GOVERNMENT (the ability to maintain discipline) so they were unable to preserve order and decency
C. They did not have GUNS, so they were unable to protect themselves and the other students
1. With the situation in schools today, I advocate that all school staff be trained in firearms and hand to hand combat.
II. DESTROYED FOUNDATIONS WERE PART OF THE PROBLEM
Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
Some basic foundations of what is right and what is wrong have been destroyed in our country, in its schools, and in its homes …
A. About responsibility
1. The murdering students were responsible for their own actions.
2. The parents were responsible for their influence in training their children.
B. About reprobates
1. Sodomites are worthy of death, according to both Testaments.
2. If sodomy was despised in our society like it should be, the queers wouldn’t be so bold. They would stay in their closets with their Barbie dolls
C. About rewards and punishments
1. When people see wickedness done without SWIFT retribution, it encourages others to do wrong.
2. Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
III. DEADBEAT FATHERS WERE PART OF THE PROBLEM
Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
A. Most fathers of rebels are not saved
B. Most fathers of rebels are not Spirit-filled
C. Most fathers of rebels are not strong in Christ
D. Most fathers of rebels are not sober — alert, awake, and aware
E. Most fathers of rebels are not serving God – Josh. 24:15
IV. DEMONIC FORCES WERE PART OF THE PROBLEM
Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
A. The boys were not submissive to authority
1. They were filled with unclean spirits.
2. They were full of rebellion and hatred.
B. The boys were not sound in mind
1. Spiritual warfare is a battle for the mind.
C. The boys were not saved
1. All unsaved people are led by unclean spirits.