WHEN THE WIND BLOWS
Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Sept. 26, 1999, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia:
WHEN THE WIND BLOWS
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 10:6-13
Text: Jeremiah 10:13
Jeremiah 10:13 When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.
Introduction: Devastating hurricane winds hit the South and East coasts of our country seasonally as do tornado winds inland areas. It is one thing to hear about such winds on the news, but it is another thing altogether to be in the midst of such a storm.
However, winds are not always destructive. Sometimes they can be very beneficial and helpful.
The wind is a picture of the Holy Ghost.
John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Acts 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
We can learn lessons about the Spirit of God by considering some obvious characteristics of the wind.
I. WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, IT BREAKS THE TOUGH
Ezekiel 27:26 Thy rowers have brought thee into great waters: the east wind hath broken thee in the midst of the seas.
John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
A. It darkens the sunny sky with clouds
B. It destroys the security of the sinner
C. It drives the sinner to good shelter
* The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide, a shelter in the time of storm!
II. WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, IT BENDS THE TALL
John 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
A. The Holy Spirit exposes sin
B. The Holy Spirit effects shame
C. The Holy Spirit exalts the Savior
D. The Holy Spirit extends salvation
III. WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, IT BENEFITS THE TIRED
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
A. The wind can chip in and help
* If you are able to manage to do your work in such a way that you are in the same direction as the wind, your work will be easier!
B. The wind can comfort in our heartaches
* A gentle breeze can be of real comfort
* The Holy Spirit comforts us with His presence
* The Holy Spirit comforts us with His promises
C. The wind can cool during the heat
* Anyone knows this who has been in the heat for some time.
* Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego endured the heat with no ill effects!
IV. WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, IT BRINGS THINGS
Psalms 18:42 Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in the streets.
A. It brings sand and dirt
* Due to a lack of visibility, one has to go by faith and not by sight.
* The Holy Spirit will stir up and expose sin, removing it when we submit to Him.
B. It brings showers
* Showers come from God!
* God wants to shower His blessings upon YOU.
* God wants to shower His blessings upon this church!
C. It brings substance
* The wind blows things into your yard you have never seen.
D. It brings sojourners
* Mighty storms drive people from their dwellings, from their cities and sometimes from their own states.
* Recently hotels and motels in our area had no empty rooms because of people who fled here from the threat of Hurricane Floyd.
* Although God has ordained that we should go out into the world with the message of salvation, He HAS told us to pray for LABORERS. Maybe if you and I would do more praying, God’s Holy Spirit, like the wind, would send in workers to help us reach the world for Jesus Christ!
Pray for the Wind of the Holy Spirit to blow upon us, within us, and through us!!!