Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Nov. 19, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
BEWARE OF DOGS
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Philippians 3:1-12
Text: Philippians 3:2
Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Introduction: This is not one of those sweet, positive messages that some of you are used to ;-), but it MUST be preached.
There are some dogs I don’t trust. I don’t trust Doberman pinschers, rottweilers, or bulldogs. However, I don’t believe the warning of Phil. 3:2 is about four-legged dogs, but rather the two-legged variety. I preached this message about 25 years ago to a group of senior citizens in Bay Minette, Alabama. After I preached and people were given an opportunity by the lady running the center to speak and give prayer requests, one woman spoke in such a way that it was obvious that she thought my whole message was about the animal dogs. This message is about PEOPLE dogs.
In reality, all Gentiles are compared to dogs. When the Greek woman asked the Lord for a blessing during His earthly ministry when He was dealing primarily with the Jews, not Gentiles, He answered:
Mark 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
He referred to non-Jews as dogs.
However, there is a specific reference to the enemies of the Lord as dogs. In the greatest prophetic description of the crucifixion in the Old Testament, Psalm 22, we read:
Psalms 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
The greatest enemies of the Lord are LOST RELIGIOUS PREACHERS AND TEACHERS. You will find this by a study of the second chapter of 2 Peter. A false prophet is called a dog in that chapter, and a false prophetess is given an even less flattering title, a SOW.
I. BEWARE OF THE DOG MANGE
Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Mange is a disease dogs and other animals get, usually caused by small parasitic mites, the most well known being the mange insect. The skin disease is characterized by skin lesions, itching, and loss of hair.
A. It is a hidden problem
- 1. Unsaved preachers, according to the Bible LOOK like God’s preachers.
- 2. They cover up their mange with white shirts and expensive suits.
- 3. 2 Corinthians 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
B. It is a horrible problem
- 1. It looks disgusting.
- 2. It eventually rises to the surface.
C. It is a harmful problem
- 1. It spreads to others.
II. BEWARE OF THE DOG MESSAGE
Isaiah 56:10 His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
A. They won’t warn of strangers
- 1. They don’t preach about the JFW’s, the Morons (Mormons), or the charismaniacs. They won’t tell you that Benny Hinn is just as phony as championship wrestling.
- 2. They won’t tell you how bad the Southern Baptist has gotten and why no Christian should be a Southern Baptist.
B. They won’t work in study
- 1. They sleep and slumber.
They don’t study.
- 2. They don’t “rightly divide the word of truth,” as a WORKman should (2 Tim. 2:15).
C. They won’t wake the sleepers
- 1. Lost people can listen to them for years without being convicted of their sin and of going to hell.
- 2. Professing Christians can live like the devil and still enjoy sitting under their ministry.
III. BEWARE OF THE DOG MORALS
2 Peter 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
A dog is a filthy animal. Beware of the tendency of some professing Christians to let the standards down and encourage you to live in disobedience to your parents, your pastor, and especially to the scriptures.
A. Dogs are filthy in private
- 1. They think of filthy.
- 2. They try to be filthy.
- 3. They tempt people one on one to be filthy.
B. Dogs are filthy in public
- 1. They can mingle with lost people, enjoying the same filthy jokes, habits, TV shows, movies, etc.
- 2. They tell questionable jokes and stories from their pulpits.
- 3. Many churches are ordaining sodomites to the ministry. That is an abomination!
IV. BEWARE OF THE DOG MENTALITY
Isaiah 56:11 Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
Romans 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
A. Their service is toward themselves
B. Their speech is positive
C. Their stand or position is pretended
- 1. “feigned words” – 2 Pet. 2:3
- 2. 2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.