Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Dec. 31, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 28:9-21
Text: 1 Chronicles 28:10
1 Chronicles 28:10 Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.
Introduction: I mentioned this morning that you are going to miss some wonderful things in the Bible if you don’t read it from cover to cover, including the books of Chronicles. Tonight I want you to look at the last two words of our text verse, 1 Chr. 28:10:
Then go down to verse 20 of the same chapter, where we find:
1 Chronicles 28:20a And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it …
Those two words, found in verses 10 and 20, are the title for tonight’s message: DO IT.
Tonight is our annual Watch Night Service. You are going to hear a good bit of preaching from the word of God tonight. However, if all you do is LISTEN, but you don’t DO what God says, you’re just deceiving yourselves.
James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Tomorrow is Jan. 1. Many people are going to be making New Year’s Resolutions. I am not against that. I use the change of the year on the calendar each year to evaluate what I am doing and to set goals for serving God during the year.
However, God is NOT pleased when we make promises to Him that we don’t perform.
I’m glad that God doesn’t make promises that He doesn’t keep.
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
How simple are the instructions of tonight’s message! Repeatedly we find in the word of God the command to DO IT.
Deuteronomy 6:3 Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
Deuteronomy 12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.
John 2:5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
I hope that tonight you will get stirred up to DO God’s will for your life.
Exodus 36:2 And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it:
I. DO IT WITH PREPARATION, BUT DO IT!
Ezra 7:10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.
A. Pray about it, but DO IT!
B. Ponder the matter, but DO IT!
- 1. I stressed this morning that we need to do more thinking, but don’t get into the habit of just daydreaming about the work of God. Step out and DO IT!
II. DO IT WITH A PROMISE, BUT DO IT
1 Chronicles 28:20 And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD.
Five times in the word of God, He said these words, “I will be with you”: Jer. 42:11; Hag. 1:13; 2:4; Matt. 28:20; Jn. 13:33.
A. You can stay where God wants you, because GOD will be with you, so DO IT!
- 1. Jeremiah 42:10-11 If ye will still abide in this land, then will I build you, and not pull you down, and I will plant you, and not pluck you up: for I repent me of the evil that I have done unto you. 11 Be not afraid of the king of Babylon, of whom ye are afraid; be not afraid of him, saith the LORD: for I am with you to save you, and to deliver you from his hand.
- 2. The grass isn’t greener on the other side! But even if it IS, you mow the grass where God PUT you!
B. You can go soul-winning, because GOD will be with you, so DO IT!
- 1. Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- 2. Bob Salo was saved Sept. 24. He is only three months old in the Lord, but yesterday he won his first two souls to the Lord. No, he wasn’t as ready as he should be. Yes, he will learn to do better. But the things is, in one day he won more souls than 90 percent of our church members won to the Lord, away from the church services, in the whole year!
- 3. If Bob can do it, YOU can do it!
- 4. Why don’t you quit making excuses for not soul-winning, realize that God is with you, and just DO IT???
III. DO IT WITH POWER
1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
A. If you’re saved, you have the Spirit of God to help you
- 1. Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
B. If you’re saved, you have the Savior Himself to help you
- 1. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
IV. DO IT WITH A PURPOSE
Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
The purpose for doing it is TO PLEASE HIM (Jesus)!
A. He was crucified for you; DO IT!
B. He’s coming again for you; DO IT!
V. DO IT WITH A PASSION
Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
A. Get a vision for it, but DO IT!
B. Get vocal about it, and DO IT!
C. Get vigorous in it, as you DO IT!
If you’re not saved, TRUST CHRIST TODAY!
If you have not been baptized, DO IT!
If you need to join the church, DO IT!
If you need to start tithing, reading your Bible, praying, soul-winning, or whatever, just DO IT!
DO IT NOW!
Come to the altar and commit yourself tonight to DO IT!