Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday Morning, April 23, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
I BELIEVE IN THE BODILY RESURRECTION OF CHRIST
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Acts 1:1-11
Text: Acts 1:3
Acts 1:3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
Introduction: The word, “passion,” refers to strong feeling and emotion, often associated with love, zeal, and determination. That is why some people refer to the week of the Lord’s death as “Passion Week.” Thank God for the glorious story of the crucifixion of Christ! What appeared to be a defeat and a murder turned out to be victory and redemption, as Jesus died for the sins of every man, woman, boy and girl who ever lived or ever WOULD live. Now, salvation, or eternal life, is offered as a GIFT to all who will trust Christ’s death for THEIR sins according to the scriptures, His burial, and His resurrection.
According to Acts 1:3, Jesus showed Himself alive by “many infallible proofs.” I love that word, “infallible,” don’t you? We have an infallible Savior, who has given us infallible scriptures and gave “many infallible proofs” of His resurrection. By the way, most of the new so-called “Bibles” don’t like the word, “infallible” so they have changed “many infallible proofs” to something less certain:
- New World Translation – “many positive proofs”
- Revised Standard Version – “many convincing proofs”
- New American Standard Version – “many convincing proofs”
- New International Version – “many convincing proofs”
The NIV is just as corrupt as the JFW (Jehovah’s False Witness) “bible,” the New World Translation. The fact that the new “perversions” of scripture are RELATED to each other is seen in the fact that they make similar changes, such as removing “but by every word of God” in Luke 4:4.
I want to give you today some reasons why I believe in the resurrection of Christ.
I. I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST BECAUSE OF THE PROMISE OF THE WORD OF GOD
1 Kings 8:56 Blessed be the LORD, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.
A. It was prophesied in the Old Testament
- Psalms 16:9-10 Therefore my heart is glad,and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. 10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
B. It was promised by Christ Himself
- John 2:19-21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
C. It was preached in the New Testament church
- 1. 2 Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
If you believe the Bible, you HAVE to believe that Jesus rose from the dead, because the Bible clearly promised that He would, and it proclaims that He DID!
II. I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST BECAUSE OF THE PLURALITY OF WITNESSES
2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.
1 Corinthians 15:4-8 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. 8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
A. They witnessed His death
- Jesus did not swoon; He DIED.
B. They witnessed His demonstration
- 1. He invited them to touch Him.
- 2. They saw Him.
C. They witnessed His diet
- He ate broiled fish and honeycomb right in front of them.
D. They witnessed His discourses
- They watched, listened, and asked questions of Him after His resurrection, as He taught them for 40 days!
III. I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST BECAUSE OF THE POWER OF HIS WORK
Acts 2:32-33 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
A. Think of the literature written about Him
- Not only the Bible, but MILLIONS of books have been written about the Lord Jesus Christ.
B. Think of the lyrics composed for Him
- These are testimonies to His saving grace
- Amazing Grace
- Wonderful Grace of Jesus
- Christ Arose
- Jesus Is Coming Again
- At Calvary
- Are You Washed In the Blood?
- He Died For Me
- And millions of other songs
C. Think of the loyalty devoted to Him
- Missionaries who go to the foreign field
- Pastors who put aside career goals to labor in the ministry.
- Church workers who give many hours each week to reach people for Christ.
IV. I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST BECAUSE OF HIS PRESENCE WITHIN THE BELIEVER
Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
When a person trusts Christ as His Savior, the Lord Jesus comes in and dwells in that person.
The presence of Christ in the believer:
A. Disturbs the believer who sins
B. Directs the believer who submits
C. Delights the believer who seeks Him