Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, Mar. 26, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
IF IT’S RIGHT, DO IT!
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: James 4:13-17
Text: James 4:17
James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
Introduction: We hear more about sins of COMMISSION than we do sins of OMISSION. When preachers thunder from the pulpit against sin, they usually preach about bad things that we commit. When people kneel at the altar, they usually confess bad things that they have done. However, sometimes preachers need to holler about the RIGHT things that people DON’T do! Sometimes people need to confess before God that they have NOT done the RIGHT things that they SHOULD do!
Our text reminds us of the sins of OMISSION. Much of our wrongdoing is our simply NOT doing the things we know that we SHOULD DO.
There is a popular expression in the world today: “If it FEELS good, DO it.” That is an unwise philosophy. It may feel good to some people to get drunk, take drugs, or commit adultery. A Christian expression would be, “If it is RIGHT, do it!”
I just have two points I want you to remember this morning:
I. IF IT IS RIGHT TO BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, DO IT!
Acts 16:29-31 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
The man asked what he must DO to be saved. He was told he must BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ.
A. Believing on Christ is NEGLECTED by many
- It is true that the wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23).
- However, Christ has paid for the sins of the whole world.
- The only real thing that keeps a lost man from going to heaven is not trusting Christ.
- John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
B. Believing on Christ is NECESSARY for all
- If you DON’T trust Christ, you will go to hell.
- I saw a tract that said on the front, “What To Do To Go To Hell.” When you opened the tract, the inside of it was blank. You don’t have to do ANYTHING to go to hell; just do NOTHING.
- John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
- John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
II. IF IS IS RIGHT TO BEHAVE AS A CHRISTIAN AFTER TRUSTING CHRIST, DO IT!
Revelation 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
The church at Ephesus had backslidden in heart. They had fallen from their first love for Christ. God told them to DO the first works. There are some things you should DO after you are saved.
A. Do be baptized – Acts 2:41
- It is sinful for a believer to delay baptism.
B. Do belong to the right church – Acts 9:26
C. Do be faithful – 1 Corinthians 4:2
D. Do bend your knee in prayer – Luke 18:1
E. Do bury yourself in the Bible – Psalms 119:162
F. Do bear fruit in soul-winning – John 15:8
G. Do bring your tithes and offerings – 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
- Periodically – the first day of the week
- Proportionately – a tithe
- Purposefully – to meet the needs of God’s work
H. Do build up other believers – 2 Corinthians 12:19
- Encourage the weak; don’t discourage them.
- Admonish the wayward; don’t act like they are still “okay”.
I. Do brag on God
- A pastor friend of mine says he can PROVE that most Baptist churches are DEAD, using the following scripture:
- Psalms 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.
J. Do beg for Jesus to come back
- Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
- Look for that blessed hope – Titus 2:13.