Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning and evening, June 25, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia. For more outlines, including a zipped file of all of my 1999 sermon outlines, click on the link at the bottom of this note, and go to our website:
IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Zechariah 4:1-7
Text: Zechariah 4:6
Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
Introduction: THE REAL WORK OF GOD IS SUPERNATURAL, NOT NATURAL.
It is not by might, nor by power of muscle.
It is not by might, nor by power of mentality.
It is not by might, nor by power of money.
We have got to stop thinking that God’s work is to be carried about by natural means. I believe that God’s business is the most important business in the world. I also believe that all things in our churches should be done decently and in order. However, some churches are run exactly like one of this world’s businesses. If God’s Holy Spirit were to leave those churches entirely, they would continue to run as normal, without anyone observing a difference.
Christian, did you pray this morning for God’s blessings upon this service? We have lost people who need to be saved, saved people who need to be baptized, inactive believers who need to join this church, and backslidden Christians in this service. We have in this service Christians who are going through great trials. THEY ALL NEED A TOUCH FROM *GOD*!
“All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down. Brethren, pray, and holy manna will be showered all around.”
Let us remind ourselves today that we must depend on the power of the Holy Ghost to do the work of God! For instance:
I. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT THE SINNER IS EXPOSED
John 16:8-11 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
A. His pollution is exposed – “of sin”
B. His problem is exposed – “of righteousness”
C. His penalty is exposed – “of judgment”
II. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT THE SAVIOR IS EXALTED
John 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
A. In our minds
- If we are full of the Holy Ghost, we will say of the Lord Jesus Christ, as did John the Baptist, “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3:30).
B. In our manner
- We should live in such a way as to best glorify CHRIST (Matt. 5:16).
- We should talk in such a way as to best magnify JESUS (Acts 4:13).
C. In our message
- I don’t preach a “plan of salvation.” I preach the MAN of salvation!
- God’s Spirit moves us to preach CHRIST, to the lost, not the Baptist church!
- Philip preached CHRIST to the city of Samaria (Acts 8:5).
- He preached JESUS to the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:35).
- Saul, later called Paul, preached CHRIST in the synagogues as soon as he was saved(Acts 9:20).
- Paul preached JESUS to the heathen at Athens(Acts 17:18).
- We preach the gospel of CHRIST (Rom. 1:16).
- It is the substitutionary death of CHRIST!
- It is the burial of CHRIST!
- It is the resurrection of CHRIST that we preach! (1 Cor. 15:3-4)
III. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT SALVATION IS ETERNAL
2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts
Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
A. The Spirit of God saves us
- We call this regeneration. It is the new birth.
- Before a person is saved, he has a dead spirit. He is dead in trespasses and sins.
B. The Spirit of God submerges us
- He baptizes us into Christ – 1 Cor. 12:13.
C. The Spirit of God seals us
- It is the “guarantee” of our salvation.
- The seal is the power of preservation.
D. The Spirit of God stays with us – John 14:16
IV. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT SERVICE IS EMPOWERED
Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
A. He helps us to find and do the will of God
- Church membership
- Work in church
- Schooling, training
B. He helps us do the work of God
- He gives gifts for the ministry of every believer.
C. He helps us obtain the wisdom of God
- You don’t have the sense to know how to serve God.
- The Holy Spirit can make you FULLY equipped to do the work of God!
V. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT THE SAINTS ARE AN ENTITY
Ephesians 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
A. There is one body, though incomes vary
- Wealthy and poor believers should be able to attend the same church, sit on the same pews, and have fellowship with each other.
B. There is one body, though ideas vary
- People have different ideas about technicalities of doctrine, and about local church administration.
- The Holy Ghost will help believers to not only believe the same, but have the same charity toward one another, and the same ultimate goals.
C. There is one body, though interests vary
VI. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT THE SCRIPTURES ARE EXPLAINED
1 Corinthians 2:9-14 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
A. The Spirit composed the Bible
B. The Spirit comprehends the Bible
C. The Spirit clarifies the Bible
VII. IT IS BY GOD’S SPIRIT THAT SORROW IS ERASED
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
A. His presence brings comfort
B. His peace brings comfort
- This is the fruit of the Spirit – Gal. 5:22
C. His promises bring comfort
- The promise of salvation
- The promise of security
- The promise of strength
- The promise of the Second Coming