Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Feb. 27, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
IT’S IN THERE!
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Luke 4:1-13
Text: Luke 4:4
Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
Introduction: There used to a commercial on television for a spaghetti sauce named, “Ragu.” The gist of the commercial was that the manufactured sauce had all of the ingredients of home-made sauce. When a friend asks about one ingredient after another, the Ragu sauce user exclaims each time, “It’s IN there!”
The Bible is the Book of all books! There are many kinds of books about romance, war, science, money, etc. All of these important things are in the Bible. It is not just a book of teachings about which people argue. I am not condemning all reading of western novels, sports magazines, and such, but if you aren’t reading your Bible from cover to cover, you are not only SINNING, but you are also robbing yourself of the blessings from this Book of God that has SO MUCH in it!
I. YOU CAN READ ABOUT COMEDY IN THE WORD OF GOD
Psalms 37:13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
Ecclesiastes 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A. There are comical saints in the Bible
- It is funny that Jacob married the wrong woman, especially since he fooled his father when his father was too old to see.
- It is funny how Jacob reacted when he heard that his brother was finally going to pay him a visit — with 400 men!!!
B. There are comical situations in the Bible
- How about the story where Balaam’s ass talked to him, and Balaam actually engaged the animal in conversation?
- Isn’t it funny to you that a whale got sick at his stomach while swimming in the ocean?
C. There are comical sinners in the Bible
- Elijah laughed at them.
- The prophets of Baal were praying for fire to come down from heaven and consume their sacrifice. Yet they were leaping on top of the altar during their prayer!
II. YOU CAN READ ABOUT COURTSHIP AND ROMANCE IN THE WORD OF GOD
Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
The Entire Song of Solomon
A. The couple in creation
B. Couples through the centuries
- Abraham and Sarah
- Issac and Rebekah
- Jacob and Rachel (and Leah)
- Boaz and Ruth
C. Christ and the church – Eph. 5:25
- He loves the church.
- He laid down His life for the church.
- He leads the church.
- He listens to the church.
- He lives for the church.
- He lays up for the church.
- He is leaving to come get the church.
III. YOU CAN READ ABOUT CONFLICT AND WAR IN THE WORD OF GOD
James 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
A. Sinners against sinners
B. Sinners against saints
C. Sinners against the Savior
D. Satan against the saints
E. Satan against the Savior
IV. YOU CAN READ ABOUT CRIME IN THE WORD OF GOD
Acts 25:16 To whom I answered, It is not the manner of the Romans to deliver any man to die, before that he which is accused have the accusers face to face, and have licence to answer for himself concerning the crime laid against him.
A. There are stealing crimes
B. There are slaying crimes
C. There are sexual crimes
- David and Bathsheba
D. There are spiritual crimes – Rom. 3:10,23
V. YOU CAN READ ABOUT CELESTIAL BEINGS IN THE WORD OF GOD
Genesis 6:1-2 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
A. The sons of God
- They were around when the world was made, and they rejoiced – Job 38:1-7.
- They make regular reports to God in heaven – Job 1,2, with Satan among them.
- They are clearly angels or angelic beings.
- They visited earth and married women, producing giants.
- No saints were called sons of God in the Old Testament, with the exception of Adam, because sinners were not able to become sons of God until after Christ died and they received Him by faith (Jn. 1:12).B. The seraphims
C. The servants of God (angels who did not fall)
D. The Spirit of God
E. The Son of God
VI. YOU CAN READ ABOUT COUNTERFEIT AGENTS IN THE WORD OF GOD
2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
A. A counterfeit Messiah – 2 Cor. 11:14
B. Counterfeit ministers – 2 Cor. 11:13
C. A counterfeit message – 2 Cor. 2:17; Gal. 1:6-9
D. Counterfeit mission
E. Counterfeit miracles
VII. YOU CAN READ ABOUT CHRIST IN THE WORD OF GOD
(Novels, movies, TV shows have a leading man.)
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
A. He is the sinless One – 2 Cor. 5:21
B. He is the supernatural One – Jn. 8:23
C. He is the sympathetic One – Heb. 4:15
D. He is the sacrificial One – 1 Pet. 2:24
E. He is the saving One – 1 Tim. 2:5
F. He is the supreme One – Col. 1:18
G. He is the soon-returning One – Tit. 2:13