Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, May 14, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE KING’S WORD IS POWERFUL
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Psalms 29:1-9; Ecclesiates 8:2-4
Text: Ecclesiastes 8:4
Ecclesiastes 8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?
Introduction: Psalm 29 describes the power of the voice of the Lord God. In verse 10 of the Psalm, our Lord is called, “King forever.” Although the Lord Jesus Christ will not manifest his position as King over the earth until the second advent, He is King forever, and His word is powerful.
Ecclesiastes 8:4 says, “Where the word of a king is, there is power.” I want you to know tonight that there is power in this BOOK. It is not MAN’S book; it is GOD’S Book!
I like the fact that the most common term for our English Bible is the KING James Bible. However, I am not holding up this Book tonight as the word of King JAMES. It is not HIS word. This Book is the word of King JESUS!!!
As such, it has power like no other book in the world!
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
I. THE KING’S WORD IS POWERFUL TO DELIVER
Genesis 41:14 Then Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they brought him hastily out of the dungeon: and he shaved himself, and changed his raiment, and came in unto Pharaoh.
Psalms 105:20 The king sent and loosed him; even the ruler of the people, and let him go free.
A. The King’s word can deliver from poverty
- When I trusted Christ, I came to Him as a helpless, hopeless, BANKRUPT sinner!
- Now I’m a child of the King, and one of these days I will be ruling WITH Him ASa king!
- Revelation 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
- Until that time, I may not be clothed in velvet or living in a mansion, but I know that I can have ALL of my needs met, because of the word of the KING:
- Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
B. The King’s word can deliver from prison
- King Pharaoh sent word, and Joseph was released from prison.
- I was held captive by Satan, but the KING, King JESUS sent His word and set me FREE!
- John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
C. The King’s word can deliver from punishment
- We are saved FOR heaven by the GRACE of God, for GRACE is God giving us something GOOD that we do NOT deserve!
- However, we are saved FROM HELL by the MERCY of God, for MERCY is God withholding from us something BAD that we DO deserve!
- Thank God for His MERCY!
II. THE KING’S WORD IS POWERFUL TO DELIGHT
2 Samuel 9:6-8 Now when Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, was come unto David, he fell on his face, and did reverence. And David said, Mephibosheth. And he answered, Behold thy servant! 7 And David said unto him, Fear not: for I will surely shew thee kindness for Jonathan thy father’s sake, and will restore thee all the land of Saul thy father; and thou shalt eat bread at my table continually. 8 And he bowed himself, and said, What is thy servant, that thou shouldest look upon such a dead dog as I am?
Psalms 119:77 Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.
A. The purity of His word delights me
B. The power of His word delights me
C. The pattern of His word delights me
D. The promises of His word delight me
E. The preaching of His word delights me
F. The purification of His word delights me
- It is like silver, purified seven times!
- It purifies those who read it, believe it, and obey it!
G. The preservation and presence of His word delights me
III. THE KING’S WORD IS POWERFUL TO DESTROY
1 Chronicles 14:12 And when they had left their gods there, David gave a commandment, and they were burned with fire.
2 Thessalonians 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
A. It will destroy the enemies of the word of God
B. It will destroy the enterprises of the wicked
C. It will destroy the evil of this world
IV. THE KING’S WORD IS POWERFUL TO DIRECT
2 Chronicles 24:8-10 And at the king’s commandment they made a chest, and set it without at the gate of the house of the LORD. 9 And they made a proclamation through Judah and Jerusalem, to bring in to the LORD the collection that Moses the servant of God laid upon Israel in the wilderness. 10 And all the princes and all the people rejoiced, and brought in, and cast into the chest, until they had made an end.
Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
A. The King’s word directs our beliefs
B. The King’s word directs our behavior
C. The King’s word directs our building
D. The King’s word directs our budget
E. The King’s word directs our battles