Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Aug. 20, 2000, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE PERFECT WILL OF GOD
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Romans 12:1-8
Text: Romans 12:2
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Introduction: God’s will can be remembered by the acrostic, GAP. It is Good. It is Acceptable. It is Perfect. I want you to think with me tonight on the subject, “The Perfect Will of God.”
God has certain things for you that may not seem perfect in themselves, but they are the perfect choices for YOU.
I. THERE IS A CHURCH THAT IS PERFECT FOR YOU
Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Notice that God the Holy Ghost puts men, pastors, over His people. It is not done by a majority vote; it is accomplished through prayer and submission to the will of God.
A. God has a pastor for your feeding
- One pastor has that responsibility.
- 1 Peter 5:1-2 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: 2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
- That’s why you should not miss even ONE service! God has a message for YOU at that service.
- This man is God’s gift to you, as well as to the rest of the congregation.
- Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
- Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
B. God has a people for your fellowship
- They are your local fighting unit in the Lord’s army.
- They are the local chapter of your spiritual support group.
C. God has a place for your function
- Jonah got into trouble because he did not want to go to the PLACE, Nineveh, where God wanted him to go!
There is no “perfect” church, but there is a church that is the perfect one for YOU. There is no “perfect” pastor, but there is a pastor who is the perfect one for YOU.
The following is an imaginary chain letter about:
|The Perfect Pastor
A recent survey has compiled all the qualities that people expect from the perfect pastor. Here we share some of them with you.
Results of a computerized survey indicated that the perfect pastor preaches exactly 12 minutes.
He frequently condemns sin but never upsets anyone.
He works from 8 a.m. until midnight, spends every afternoon with his wife and children, and is also a janitor.
He makes $60 a week, wears good clothes, buys good books, drives a good car, and gives about $80 a week to the poor.
He is 28 years of age, and he’s been preaching for 30 years.
He is wonderfully gentle and handsome.
He gives of himself completely but never gets too close to anyone lest he be criticized.
He speaks boldly on social issues, but must never become politically involved.
He has a burning desire to work with teenagers; he spends all his time with senior citizens.
He makes 15 calls daily on parish families, visits shut-ins and the hospitalized, spends all his time evangelizing the unchurched, and is always in his office when needed.
If your pastor does not measure up, simply send this letter to six other churches that are tired of their pastor too. Then bundle up your pastor and send him to the church at the top of this list. In one week you will receive 1,643 pastors; at least one of them should be perfect.
Have faith in this letter. One church broke the chain and got its old pastor back in less than 30 days.
II. THERE IS A COMPANION WHO IS PERFECT FOR YOU
1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
Genesis 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
A. God can pick your mate
B. God can prepare your mate
C. God can polish your mate
III. THERE IS A COURSE THAT IS PERFECT FOR YOU
Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
A. God designates the location of the course
- You have no right to move to a city and state because of a job.
- You should ONLY move because of JESUS. Then let HIM provide the job!
B. God designates the landscaping of the course
- Some golf courses are beautiful. While we were at this year’s Sword of the Lord conference, my friend Pastor Bucky Halford daily admired a particular area of a golf course that we passed on the way to church.
- God’s place for you is like that. It’s BEAUTIFUL, because it is GOD’S place for YOU!
C. God designates the length of the course
- Stephen died “early,” but he had finished God’s course for him.
- The apostle Paul died as an old man, but he finished God’s course for him.
- Jack Hyles is in his 70s, but he is still pastoring!
- Hugh Pyle is in his 80s, but he is still preaching in evangelistic meetings!
- Lee Roberson is in his 90s, but he is still crossing the country, encouraging churches to win souls and train converts!
D. God designates the lane in the course
- It is better to be a nursery worker in a local church in the will of God, than it is to be the pastor of a local church outside of the will of God.
- Be what God wants you to be!
- Do what God wants you to do!
- That is success — finding and doing “the perfect will of God.”