Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, Dec. 09, 2001, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
JESUS CHRIST HAS ALREADY COME TO TOWN!
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: John 7:37-43
Text: John 7:42
John 7:42 Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?
Introduction: The title of this morning’s message is, “Jesus Christ Has ALREADY Come To Town!”
I admit it; I am JEALOUS for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I don’t like for a holiday to be named after Him, such as “Christmas,” and for some mythical figure named Santa Claus to be getting undue attention. Santa Claus is FICTION; Jesus Christ is REALITY. Santa Claus is a LIE; Jesus Christ is TRUTH.
A traditional song at Christmas is “Santa Claus is coming to town.” Well, the truth is, Santa Claus is NOT coming to town.” Yes, there will be many people dressed up as Santa Claus, but they aren’t Santa. They are all FAKES, even as Santa is a phony “Christ.” The main point of my message is NOT to attack Santa Claus. I’ve done that sufficiently in my sermon, now in the form of one of my $2.00 books, “Why Christmas Is Full Of The Devil.” The main point of my message is to show you that in contrast to the lie that Santa Claus is coming to town is the truth that Jesus Christ HAS come to town! He came to the town of Bethlehem, and His coming was the most important event of earth’s history!
Let me tell you some things about this man named JESUS CHRIST, who HAS come to town!
I. HIS CRADLE WAS THE VEHICLE BY WHICH HE CAME
Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
A. This was an event of humility – Philippians 2:5-8
B. This was an event of holiness
- “Silent night, HOLY night …”
- Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
II. HIS CLAIMS WERE EXTRAORDINARY
Matthew 12:41-42 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. 42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
A. As to His place
- 1. Santa supposedly comes from the North Pole
- 2. Jesus came from HEAVEN!
B. As to His perception
- The song claims for Santa that he knows whether you’re asleep or awake, and he knows if you’ve been bad or good.
- Jesus knows EVERYTHING!
C. As to His power
- Jesus was able to cleanse from leprosy, cause the deaf to hear, cause the blind to see, and cause the lame to walk!
- He cast out devils!
- He raised the dead!
- He said to the stormy sea, “Peace, be still,” and the wind came to a halt and the waves lay down at His feet.
- Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
III. HIS CROSS WAS THE TREE ASSOCIATED WITH HIS COMING
Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Not a Christmas tree, but the “crucifixion” tree!
A. It bears a Star – the Lord Jesus Christ
B. It builds attention because of its light
C. It brings gladness because of what (Who) is hanging on it
IV. HIS CAUSE WAS TO REACH SINNERS
1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Santa is coming to REWARD GOOD people.
Jesus came to GIVE eternal life to BAD people!
Santa supposedly is making a list, checking it twice, ‘gonna find out who’s naughty or nice!
A. Jesus saw that ALL were sinners
B. Jesus sacrificed Himself for ALL sinners
- He died for them, was buried, and rose again
C. Jesus shed His blood to buy them and their salvation
D. Jesus supplies His salvation, eternal life, as a GIFT to all who will trust Him as Savior
V. HIS CHILDREN ARE HIS REPRESENTATIVES WHO ASSIST HIM
The mythical Santa is assisted by elves. The Lord Jesus Christ is assisted by Christians, who are privileged to be laborers together with God!
1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
A. Their task – preach the gospel!
B. Their tools – many and varied
- Printed tools – New Testaments, gospel tracts, follow-up tracts
- Cars, buses, vans
- Telephones, letters, billboards, posters, radio, newspaper, and computers
- But most of all … brains, eyes, ears, mouth, hands, and feet!
C. Their training and testing lab – the local church
- This is where they are trained and supervised for the work
D. Their techniques
- Toiling – 99 percent of soul- winning is simply WORKING at it
- Transformed lives – their example