Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Oct. 21, 2001, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
JESUS NEVER FAILS
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 13:1-8
Text: Hebrews 13:8
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
Introduction: Our text does not say that every action or activity of our Lord is the same throughout all ages. For instance,
1. His messages change – His message to Adam was “Don’t eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.” That is NOT His message to YOU. His message to Noah was, “Build the ark and bring your family into it.” That is NOT His message to YOU today. His message to the man who asked, “What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” was “… if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments” (Matt. 19:16-17). That is NOT His message to YOU.
2. His manifestations change – He was not manifest in the Old Testament, except for the possible appearances of the angel of the Lord. He came into this world as a baby, He grew into manhood, and He disappeared back into heaven. No one sees him today in a physical body, although Stephen had a vision of him in Jerusalem before he was martyred, and John had a vision while in exile on the isle of Patmos of Christ glorified, as God gave John the task of writing the book of Revelation.
3. His movements change – Jesus spent 90 percent of His life on earth without doing a single miracle. Then He began doing miracles. He first told the disciples to preach to Israel and to not go to the Gentiles. Later, He told them to go into ALL nations.
Although the messages, manifestations, and movements of our Lord change, HE does not change, particularly, as in the context of the verse, IN HIS DESIRE AND ABILITY TO HELP THOSE WHO LOVE HIM:
Hebrews 13:5-6 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
The title of tonight’s message is simply, JESUS NEVER FAILS!
I. CHRIST’S POWER IS NOT DIMINISHED WHEN PROSPERITY FAILS
Philippians 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
According to the above verse, Paul suffered times of hunger and need. In spite of that, a few verses later he said:
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
In times of economic depression, Jesus can still provide
A. A supper
- He fed the children of Israel manna from heaven.
- He fed the 5,000 with five loaves of bread!
- He fed the 4,000 with seven loaves of bread!
- He can provide enough so that YOU can be fed!
B. A suit
- Jesus clothes the lily of the field.
- He can give you something to wear that is attractive and appropriate!
C. A satisfaction
- A rich man is someone who is content with what God has given him.
Though times of prosperity fail, JESUS NEVER FAILS!
II. CHRIST’S PROGRAM IS NOT DEFEATED WHEN PEOPLE FAIL
God picked out a king for Israel named Saul. This man failed in his task. Samuel said to King Saul:
1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
aul had failed, but that did not mean the Lord’s program was defeated. God sent Samuel to the house of Jesse, to seek out his youngest son, David:
1 Samuel 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
A. God may close a door when people fail
B. God calls new people when people fail
- David replaced Saul.
- Matthias replaced Judas.
C. God continues His work when people fail
- John Mark deserted Paul, and later helped cause Barnabas to split up from him. However, God continued His work through the apostle Paul without either of them!
Though people fail, JESUS NEVER FAILS!
III. CHRIST’S PRESENCE IS NOT DISTURBED WHEN PARTNERS FAIL
You may have a marriage partner, a prayer partner, or a soul-winning partner. You may have a dear friend in whom you confide. Some day that partner may fail. He may leave you through death. He may leave you through disagreement. He may leave you through desertion. I want you to know that when your dearest friend in this world is no longer there to be your companion, JESUS NEVER FAILS.
2 Timothy 4:16-17 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. 17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.
A. He is there as a Partner
- “Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me …”
- When your spouse is gone, He is there!
- When your parents are gone, He is there!
- When your children are gone, He is there!
B. He is there for power
- “… and strengthened me …”
- Did the one who gave you the most encouragement leave you? Lean on the Lord!
- When I started my first church in 1975, it seemed that every earthly support on which I could lean was taken from me. One by one, those supports were REPLACED, as the Lord strengthened me!
C. He is there for performing God’s will
- “that by me the preaching might be fully known …”
- Jesus is right there to help you continue to do the will of God for your life.
D. He is there for protection
- “… and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.”
- Jesus is with you, watching over you, to protect you.
- In two weeks Mrs. O’Neal and I are scheduled for a long airplane flight to Brazil. I am not afraid, for the Lord is with us!
- Our main enemy is “the lion” (1 Pet. 5:8) — the DEVIL, and the Lord will deliver us from him!
Though partners fail, JESUS NEVER FAILS!
IV. CHRIST’S PLAN IS NOT DISCARDED WHEN OUR PURPOSES FAIL
Many times our own goals and dreams are shattered. Our plans are ruined. Our efforts don’t seem to bring success. Yet, Christ’s plan is NOT discarded!
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
A. His plan to preserve us will continue
- 2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
B. His plan to perfect us will continue
- God can use our failures to mold us as well as our successes.
C. His plan to purify us will continue
- Disappointments should make us BETTER, not BITTER!
D. His plan to prosper us will continue
- For some time I have quoted the following verse at least once a day, claiming it for me:
- Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
I’ve been saved since Feb. 11, 1968. I’ve not been what I should all these years, but I can say that it has been MY experience that JESUS NEVER FAILS.
I’ve been married since Nov. 19, 1971. I’ve not been the husband and father I should have been through all these years, but I can say that it has been MY experience that JESUS NEVER FAILS.
I’ve been preaching since Mar. 20, 1972. I’ve not been the preacher that I should have been for this entire time, but I can say that it has been MY experience that JESUS NEVER FAILS.
You can trust Him!
Keep on believing!
Keep on serving!
Keep on rejoicing!
Keep on looking UP! He’s coming soon!