Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, May 27 1001 at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
SOME THOUGHTS ON THE LORD’S SUPPER
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: 1 Cor. 11:20-34
Text: 1 Cor. 11:20
1 Corinthians 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper.
Introduction: The Corinthians said they were observing the Lord’s supper, but Paul said they weren’t eating the LORD’S supper at all; they were eating their OWN supper.
1 Corinthians 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
Tonight we are not here for a “dinner on the grounds.” We are not here for an evening snack. We are here to partake of the Lord’s supper, an ordinance of the church, the purpose of which is to remember the Lord’s sacrifice on Calvary. Before we partake, I want to encourage us to think of a few things:
I. LET’S THINK OF THE BETRAYAL OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
A. Consider the author of the betrayal – Judas Iscariot
- He was a disciple
- He was an apostle
- He was an officer – the treasurer
- He was a worker – cast out devils
- He was a phony – he was a devil!
- John 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is
- Would we have here tonight a betrayer of the Lord?
B. Consider the action of the betrayal
- Matthew 26:48-49 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast. 49 And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
- Some people talk about getting people saved, but they won’t go soul-winning.
- Some people talk about the blessings of the Lord, but they ROB God by not giving tithes and offerings!
- Some people talk about serving God, but they can’t make it to three church services a week!
- Some people talk about revival, but they don’t attend the midweek service before Sunday that the Revival Preacher arrives!
- Some people talk about believing the Bible, but they don’t read it daily.
II. LET’S THINK OF THE BODY OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
1 Corinthians 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
A. It was broken
- 1 Cor. 11:24 above
- His BONES were not broken, but His BODY was.
B. It was beaten
- They scourged Him.
- They hit him in the face.
C. It was bruised
- They put the cross upon His back.
- They put thorns on His head.
D. It was bearing our sins
- John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
- 1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
III. LET’S THINK OF THE BLOOD OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
1 Corinthians 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
A. It is pure blood
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
B. It is precious blood
- 1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
C. It is powerful blood
- Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath
- Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
- What can wash away my sin? Nothing! Not baptism, not confession and absolution, not prayer, not good works, not church membership — Nothing, BUT THE BLOOD OF JESUS!
IV. LET’S THINK OF THE BLESSED HOPE OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
“… till he come.”
The Lord’s Supper is indeed an ordinance of REMEMBRANCE, but we are not only to remember what took place at Calvary.
When we partake of the Lord’s supper,
A. We should remember the price that was paid for our salvation
- Christ died for sinners to be saved.
- Let’s also remember that He left us here on earth to give that good news to others!
B. We should remember the purpose of the observance
- We must examine ourselves to see if we are partaking to satisfy our hunger for food or to remember the Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
C. We should remember the promise for the future
- JESUS IS COMING SOON!
- The Lord’s supper appears from verse 26, to be a TEMPORARY observance, “til he come”!!!
- One of these days we will trade in the LORD’S supper for the MARRIAGE Supper! Glory!
- The cross will be exchanged for a crown!
- Faith will be replaced by SIGHT!
- 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.