Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, April 22, 2001, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE BUILDING OF A LOCAL CHURCH
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 3:1-11
Text: 1 Corinthians 3:9
1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
Introduction: Our text makes it clear that the people of God are GOD’S building. He is the author and the finisher. However, the verse also says that WE work together WITH the Lord in the construction business. Therefore, as it is the job of God’s people to win others to Christ, it is also our task to work with the Lord in BUILDING those converts. At our church we say, “Gospel Light Baptist Church exists solely to exalt the Savior as we evangelize the sinner and edify the saint.”
I understand that the term, “church,” refers to ALL of God’s people. However, the body of Christ is manifest locally in the form of independent congregations. I want us to think tonight about how we can work together with the Lord in building a local church.
I. A LOCAL CHURCH MUST BE FOUNDED UPON THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST
Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
A. It must be built UPON Him
B. It must be built FOR Him
C. It must be built THROUGH Him
II. A LOCAL CHURCH MUST BE FED BY THE PREACHING OF GOD’S WORD
Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
A. The word of God ministers to the lost
- It is true that the assembly of the local church is primarily for the purpose of edifying the saints.
- However, it is also true that the word of God is the sword of the Spirit, that can cut and operate on the heart of an unsaved man.
B. The word of God ministers to the lambs
- New Christians need the milk of the word. The BIBLE is what will build believers.
C. The word of God ministers to the leaders
- No Christian is so mature and so strong that he cannot benefit from steady Bible preaching and teaching.
III. A LOCAL CHURCH MUST BE FUELED BY PRAYER TO THE LORD OF THE CHURCH
Psalms 127:1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
A. We must pray for God’s provision
- People from our church fasted and prayed every day from the time we finalized the sale of our old property until we got relocated on our current site.
B. We must pray for God’s protection
C. We must pray for God’s prosperity
C. We must pray for God’s power
IV. A LOCAL CHURCH MUST BE FILLED WITH PEOPLE WHO LOVE THE LORD
1 Corinthians 3:9 … ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.