Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, July 22, 2001, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE SHOCKING, SWEET SPIRIT OF CHRIST ABOUT THE SAVIOR
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: John 8:19-25
Text: John 8:24
John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
Introduction: Liberals don’t think that we have “the sweet spirit of Christ,” but that is because they, like the Jews of Jesus’s day, do not KNOW the Lord Jesus Christ.
If you were to hear Jesus speak audibly today, it would shock some of you. He astonished people continually in that He spoke with authority and not as the scribes. He was DOGMATIC, and He was DIFFERENT.
Let’s consider tonight, as we continue our thoughts on “The Shocking, Sweet Spirit of Christ, what Christ said about HIMSELF. You might be shocked yourself as you hear the statements that He made. For instance,
I. CHRIST’S SPIRIT MAY SHOCK YOU AS HE SPOKE ABOUT HIS EXCEPTIONAL PERSON
Matthew 12:41-2 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. 42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
He said He was greater than the prophet Jonah, but also that He was greater than one of the greatest kings of all time, the wisest man who ever lived, born of a human father: Solomon.
Jesus was greater than Solomon in that
A. His power was greater
- He could heal lepers
- He could restore sight and hearing
- He could raise the dead
- He could die, be buried, and rise again the third day!!!
- That is because He is the GOD-man!
B. His purity was greater
- Jesus never sinned!
- Solomon sinned in marrying “strange women.”
- Jesus is completely holy, for He is GOD!
C. His perception was greater
- Solomon had wisdom, but Jesus is GOD. He knows everything!
D. His possessions were greater
- Solomon was one of the richest men of the world.
- Jesus used the riches of this world as building materials and pavement in heaven!
E. His perseverance was greater
- Solomon went into apostasy in his old age.
- Jesus is the same today, yesterday, and forever! Praise God!
II. CHRIST’S SPIRIT MAY SHOCK YOU AS HE SPOKE ABOUT HIS ETERNAL PRESENCE
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
A. He created the world
- John 1:1-3
B. He claimed oneness with the Father
- 1. John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
C. He conquered death and rose from the grave
D. He has cleansed sinners by His blood for the last 2,000 years
E. He is coming again to this world
F. He will create a new heaven and a new earth
G. He will cherish His bride, the church, forever and ever!
III. CHRIST’S SPIRIT MAY SHOCK YOU AS HE SPOKE ABOUT HIS EXCLUSIVE PARDON
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
A. Christ’s pardon is full
- It pays for our past, present and future sins!
B. Christ’s pardon is free
- It’s not cheap, but it is free!
- It was paid for by the most expensive substance in the universe — God’s own blood!
C. Christ’s pardon is forever!
- Salvation is eternal!
- No believer can lose God’s salvation! It is God’s GIFT!
IV. CHRIST’S SPIRIT MAY SHOCK YOU AS HE SPOKE ABOUT HIS EXCEEDING POWER
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.