Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Jan. 28, 2001, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE SOUL-WINNER’S PRAYERS
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Philippians 1:1-7
Text: Philippians 1:4
Philippians 1:4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,
Introduction: Paul mentioned “every prayer of mine” in our text for tonight. In the passage he referred to “fellowship in the gospel” (1:5) and “the defense and confirmation of the gospel” (1:7). Paul’s life, heart, efforts, and PRAYERS were centered around the gospel of Christ.
Many Bible students believe, as I do, that the apostle Paul was probably the greatest soul-winner who ever lived. I would like to know what it was like to go with him on his trips to preach the gospel. I ALSO would like to know what it was like to be with him when he prayed.
People don’t all pray the same. Mothers and children often pray differently. Men and women pray differently. I would like to know what the prayers of a “master soul-winner” were like.
I can’t take us physically back to the days of Paul and visit him, but we can look at some things in the Bible to learn what the prayer life of a soul-winner should be.
I. HE PRAYS FOR PEOPLE
Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
A. He prays for them to be convicted
B. He prays for them to be converted
C. He prays for them to be changed
II. HE PRAYS FOR PROTECTION
2 Thessalonians 3:1-2 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
A. He prays for protection from those who would contradict
- The devil will send people to a soul-winning situation to contradict the soul-winner’s message.
- Acts 13:45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.
- Church of Christ guy on my watch in the Navy.
B. He prays for protection from those who would capture him
C. He prays for protection from those would confuse his converts
III. HE PRAYS FOR POWER
Acts 4:29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
Ephesians 6:18-20 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
A. Power to contact people
- It’s easy to drive by the prospect’s house without even stopping to see if he is home.
- It’s easy to just give a tract rather than talk to the person about his soul.
B. Power to confront people
C. Power to convince people
- Acts 6:10 And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake.
IV. HE PRAYS FOR POSSIBILITIES
Colossians 4:3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
A. He prays for an open house
- A soul-winner is almost never going to truly win someone to Christ who will not even open the door of his house.
B. He prays for an open hour
- Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.
C. He prays for an open heart
- Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.