Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, May 6, 2001, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE VOW OF A SPOUSE
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Malachi 2:12-17
Text: Malachi 2:14
Malachi 2:14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
Introduction: All month long we will be emphasizing marriage. At the end of each morning service, except for Homecoming next week, we will give the opportunity for couples to renew their wedding vows.
God created one man around 6,000 years ago. He named him Adam.
Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
God took a rib from Adam and made him a companion. Adam called her Eve.
Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Marriage is not something to be entered into lightly. Malachi 2:16 says that God HATES divorce, and we are now at the point that more than one out of two marriages ends in divorce.
Marriage is called a COVENANT in today’s scripture reading. People who enter into a covenant with each other are taking a vow.
I want us to consider the basic duties of a man and woman to each other, as stated in the word of God. I believe we will see that one of the MAIN reasons marriages are not working is because that people are not following God’s plan for marriage.
I have only two points for this morning’s message, and you will soon see that I actually only have one point.
What is the husband’s role in marriage?
What should be his vow?
I. THE HUSBAND SHOULD GIVE TO THE WIFE
Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Love GIVES. That is why Christian love is called CHARITY. You can give without loving (see 1 Cor. 13), but you can’t love without GIVING.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- I am not interested in teaching boys to fight so they can defend themselves.
- However, they should be able to defend their family members, their friends, and their country.
- Praise? Wouldn’t THAT be a switch!
- Praise, not condemn!
- Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
- Tell her you love her!
- Tell her that you thank God for her!
- John 14:1-3
- Jesus is preparing a place for His bride
- Find out what she enjoys.
- Flowers, vacations, dresses …
- Ladies first
- Your wife before other ladies
- Your wife before your mother
- Your wife before your sisters
- Your wife before your children
II. THE WIFE SHOULD GIVE TO THE HUSBAND
Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
You wives may want to ask, “How does that have to do with giving? What do I give to submit myself to my husband?”
Simple. Give IN. 🙂
A. Give him the headship
- He can’t lead if you won’t follow, ladies.
B. Give him honor
- Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
C. Give him help
- Look at Genesis 2:18.
- Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
- Help him, but don’t boss him.
- Help him, but don’t nag him.
Conclusion: Do you need to renew your vows to each other?