Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, December 29, 2002, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
BIBLE-BELIEVING FUNDAMENTALISTS BELIEVE IN THE SAVIOR – HIS SUPERNATURAL BIRTH
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 7:10-14; Matthew 1:18-23
Text: Matthew 1:23
Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Introduction: For the last few weeks I have been defining for you exactly what we mean when we say that our church is a Bible-believing, fundamental church. I’ve talked about the attitude that Bible-believing fundamentalists have about the word of God. In summary, we BELIEVE the Bible that we USE to be in inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God!
WE ARE BIBLE-BELIEVERS! After that, we are fundamentalists. We BELIEVE ALL of the Bible, but we make the great teachings of the Bible, the fundamentals, issues of fellowship. We contend about the fundamentals. What are these fundamentals of the faith? On this first Sunday morning after Christmas, I want to say that one of the great fundamentals of the faith is
THE VIRGIN BIRTH OF OUR LORD
This doctrine is non-negotiable. It is not a secondary doctrine; it is PRIMARY. It is not INCIDENTAL; it is FUNDAMENTAL.
I. THE VIRGIN BIRTH IS REJECTED BY SCOFFERS
Luke 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Matthew 4:3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
Matthew 4:5-6a Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written …
A. Unholy scriptures
- Counterfeit “bibles”
- Isaiah 7:14 changed from “virgin” to “young woman”
- Luke 2:33 – “Joseph and his mother” changed to “his father and his mother”
B. Unsaved scholars
- Worshippers of science falsely so called
- Many religious instructors in colleges and seminaries
C. Ungodly sinners
- The rejection of this doctrine is more of a HEART problem (the will) than a HEAD problem (the understanding)
- Reprobate I dealt with in NY City
II. THE VIRGIN BIRTH IS RECORDED IN SCRIPTURE
Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
A. It was prophesied in the Old Testament
- Isaiah 7:14 (above)
- Genesis 3:15 – the seed of the woman to bruise the head of the serpent
- Genesis 22:8 – God will provide Himself a lamb
- Isaiah 53:2 – a root out of a DRY ground
B. It was proclaimed by the angel, Gabriel – Luke 1:26-37
C. It was professed by the Savior
- When Mary told Jesus at age 12 that His FATHER and she had been looking for Him, He told her that surely she knew He must be about his FATHER’S business! (Luke 2:48-49)
D. It was preached by the church
III. THE VIRGIN BIRTH IS REQUIRED FOR SALVATION
1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
A. The birth was God’s mystery in salvation
B. The blood was God’s method in salvation
IV. THE VIRGIN BIRTH IS A REVELATION OF THE SUPERNATURAL
John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
A. A supernatural problem
- The problem is SIN
- The problem is not, How Can a just God send good people to hell, but rather, How Can a just God take wicked people to heaven!
B. A supernatural plan
C. A supernatural Person
- John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth.
D. Supernatural power
E. A Supernatural pardon
- Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
- JESUS “Jehovah, the Saviour”