Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, Mar. 3, 2002, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
HOW TO SING THE NEW SONG
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Psalms 40:1-3
Text: Psalms 40:3
Psalms 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
Introduction: Our theme for this year is, “Lord, Send A Revival!” If there is going to be a revival among God’s people, it is going to INCLUDE a revival in MUSIC. One of the constant areas of sinfulness in this carnal, compromising time of church history is that of MUSIC, both in the churches and in the individual lives of the people of God.
The lost people do have a song. The music characterizing that song is primarily one of two types: rock and country western.
Saved people are given a NEW song. We find the expression mentioned in our text and
Psalms 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
Psalms 96:1 O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.
Music is a language of the soul, and a saved soul has a new song to sing! It’s the song of the soul set free! It is the song of redemption! It is the song of salvation!
The first occurrence of the words, “sing,” “sang,” and “song,” are all found in Exodus 15:1
Exodus 15:1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
The very next verse tells us that our song is the Lord Himself!
Exodus 15:2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
I won’t to give you a few thoughts this morning to help guide you in singing the new song:
I. SING THE NEW SONG WITH PLEASURE
Psalms 100:1-2 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. 2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
A. Sing with your spirit
- 1 Corinthians 14:15b … I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
- 2. Our song should come from within, from the heart!
B. Sing with a smile
- Psalms 71:23 My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
- 2. Do you know what “rejoicing lips” are? A SMILE!!!
C. Sing with a shout!
- Psalms 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
- It bothers me that men will holler at their wives, their kids, and their dogs, but won’t raise their voices for JESUS!
II. SING THE NEW SONG WITH PRAISE
Psalms 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
A. Praise Him for deliverance
- “Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer! For our sins He suffered, and bled and died; He our Rock, our hope of eternal salvation, Hail Him! Hail Him! Jesus the crucified.”
B. Praise Him for direction
- “He leadeth me, O blessed tho’t! O words with heavenly comfort fraught! Whate’er I do, where’er I be, Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me!”
C. Praise Him for devotion
- “I am so glad that Jesus loves me”
- “Jesus loves me, this I know”
- “No one ever cared for me like Jesus”
III. SING THE NEW SONG WITH PROFIT
Singing has an effect on you and others! You will benefit by singing and having the right kind of music in your heart and in your home!
Psalms 61:8 So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.
A. The new song helps your spirit
- 1 Samuel 16:23 And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.
B. The new song helps your strength
- 1. It will help you forget your weakness and pains.
C. The new song helps your service
- If you’ll start singing the new song Sunday morning at 7 AM, you’ll have no problem being in Sunday School at 9:45 AM!
IV. SING THE NEW SONG WITH PURPOSE
Psalms 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.
Sing with understanding! Know WHY you’re singing as well as WHAT you’re singing!
Our church’s motto applies to our singing, as well as everything else: Gospel Light Baptist Church Exists Solely to Exalt the Savior as we Evangelize the Sinner and Edify the Saint!
A. Sing to exalt the Savior
- Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
- That immediately follows a verse that I’ll read momentarily that tells us how to sing!
- Psalms 13:6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.
B. Sing to evangelize the sinner
- Psalms 126:2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.
- Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
- Paul and Silas sang in the presence of lost people. They ended up being able to win the keeper of the prison to Christ!
- Psalms 96:2 Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.
C. Sing to edify the saints
- Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- Sing to encourage the saints to believe God
- Sing to encourage the saints to obey God
- Sing to encourage the saints to stand in the battle for God
- Sing to encourage them and the lost as well to SURRENDER to God!
May God fill us with His Holy Spirit!
May God help us, BY His Spirit, to sing the new song rightly!
Are you singing “the new song?”
Has the devil robbed you of that song?