Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, May 25, 2003, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
DISHONORING THE PROPERTY OF OTHERS; THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Exodus 20:12-17
Text: Exodus 20:15
Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Introduction: This is the first commandment so far without a death penalty!
Restitution is the punishment for the crime!
Exodus 22:1 If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.
I. THERE IS A PROBLEM IN OUR COMMUNITIES
Isaiah 1:23 Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.
A. Politicians steal
B. Proprietors of businesses steal
C. Paid workers steal
D. Pedestrians steal
II. THERE IS A PROBLEM AMONG OUR CHILDREN
Proverbs 20:11 Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
A child must be taught
A. To rejoice in what he has
B. To respect the property of others
C. To restrain from putting his hands on what does not belong to him
III. THERE IS A PROBLEM EVEN IN OUR CHURCHES
Matthew 21:13 And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.
A. In promises for debts
- Psalms 37:21 The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.
B. In payment of tithes and offerings
- Malachi 3:8-10 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
C. In the precepts of God
- Jeremiah 23:30 Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
D. In punishment of others
- Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
E. In praise to God
- Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
IV. THE PATH TO VICTORY
Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
A. Be content with what you have
B. Be confident in the Lord
C. Be consistent in your labor
- Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.