Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, Mar. 30,, 2003, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
DOES YOUR LIFE “STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN”?
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 10:1-7
Text: Ecclesiastes 10:1
Ecclesiastes 10:1 Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.
Introduction: An apothecary is a druggist or a doctor. A doctor’s office should be characterized by cleanliness. If it is clean, it will smell clean. If it smells dirty, it’s because somewhere there are “dead flies” in the ointment.
Likewise, a man of reputation should have a clean life. When the immorality of Bill Clinton, Jimmy Swaggart, and Jim Bakker was made public, there was a big “stink.”
Some other things that stink to High Heaven:
I. A HUNGER FOR MORE WITHOUT A HAPPINESS FOR THE MUCH YOU HAVE … THAT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
2 Timothy 3:1-2 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
Someone has said that America was founded by people who believed in
I believe from the Pilgrim fathers our country was also characterized by GRATITUDE to the God of heaven! Somewhere along the line, the God, guts, guns, and gratitude of Americans turned to GREED!
Today Americans believe in
- Americans are an unhappy people
- Lusting after another spouse
- Lusting after another job
- Lusting after another place to live
- Lusting after anything other than what God gives them!
- God has ordained that people get wealth by LABOR, not LOTTERIES
- By SWEATING, not by scratching cards
- By SAVING, not by spending money on lotto tickets
- By GIVING, not by gambling
- Jesus sent His disciples out wise as serpents, but harmless as doves.
- More and more Americans are as dumb as an ox and as mean as a snake when it comes to filing a lawsuit.
- Instead of looking to the Lord for financial security, many Americans are hoping for a personal or class-action lawsuit!
Another thing that stinks to High Heaven:
II. A HOME AND A HOUSE WITHOUT HOLINESS AND HAPPINESS… THAT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN
Psalms 37:16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.
Proverbs 15:16-17 Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith. 17 Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
Many families have
A. Babies but not parents who will train them
- I have worked with children as a pastor for over 27 years and a Christian school principal for over 17 years. I maintain that the real problem in Juvenile Delinquency is PARENTAL Delinquency!
- Kids have come into our school over the years who have never been taught to bathe, brush their teeth, shampoo their hair, go to the bathroom, much less been brought up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord!
Many families have
B. Brick walls and barred windows but not prayer and purity for protection
- The best thing that Abraham did to provide for the safety and security of his household was to get so close to God that he was known as “the friend of God.”
III. A HYMN BOOK IN YOUR HAND WITHOUT HEAVEN IN YOUR HEART… THAT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN
2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Romans 10:1-3 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Many people in churches today have
A. A FORM of godliness without having the POWER of God
B. A FEELING that’s good without having the PEACE of God
C. A FERVENCY that grows without having the PARDON of God!
- You may sing well but are you SAVED?