Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, Mar. 23, 2003, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
GOD’S WORK AND YOU
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Psalms 143:1-12
Text: Psalms 143:5
Psalms 143:5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.
Introduction: To muse means to think or to consider deeply; to meditate. Let us give the Lord our minds this morning as we marvel at His works. The Lord who created the heavens takes the time to work with us.
I. GOD WORKS -IN- YOU WHEN HE SAVES YOU
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
A. He saves the believer from sin’s penalty in conversion by the work of the new birth
B. He saves the believer from sin’s power in consecration by the work of a new behavior
C. He saves the believer from sin’s presence at the coming of Christ by the work of the new body
II. GOD WORKS -THROUGH- YOU WHEN HE SENDS YOU
John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
A. He sends through a commission
B. He sends through a church
C. He sends through a commitment
- Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
III. GOD WORKS -ON- YOU WHEN HE SANCTIFIES YOU
Jeremiah 18:6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.
A. He works on us through the truth
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
- Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Ephesians 5:25-26 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
B. He works on us through trials
- 1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
IV. GOD WORKS -FOR- US WHEN HE SEES US
Matthew 10:28-31 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
A. God perceives our situation
B. God prefers us above others
C. God protects us
Thank God for His work in, through, on, and for us! May we all submit to the work of His hands today! Is God working in you right now and you’re resisting Him? Submit to Him!