Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, Aug. 01, 2004, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
BORED TO THE DOOR TO SERVE FOREVERMORE
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Exodus 21:1-6
Text: Exodus 21:6
Introduction: I believe this is one of the places referred to by our Lord when He said:
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Those scriptures were specifically Genesis through Deuteronomy, the first five books of the Bible, for the Lord further stated:
John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
I believe that this passage is illustrative of the Lord Jesus Christ and His relationship to His people whom He has purchased with His blood.
The picture here does not match perfectly the order of salvation and service, but it is close and has enough striking similarities for us to not bypass its significance.
- THE PURCHASE – V. 2 “If thou buy”
Our salvation was a purchase
- It was a purchase of God
1. Acts 20:28
- It was a purchase for our good
1. God didn’t buy us to abuse us, but to bless us!
- It was a purchase of grace
1. We were absolutely worthless of any true good before the Lord bought us.
- THE PARDON – V. 2B “he shall go out free for nothing”
In the freedom of the purchased servant, we see a picture of:
- The free gift – “for nothing”
1. Ephesians 2:8-10
2. Titus 3:5
- The freedom we have in Christ
C. The fruit – V. 4-5 wife and children
1. God intends for us to bringothers into the family of God
III. THE PASSION – V. 5
In this verse we see a picture of the love of a convert for his Lord and Savior
- A declaration – shall plainly say
- A devotion – I love my master
- A determination – I will not
1. Daniel had this negative determination that was godly(Daniel 1:8)
- THE PIERCING – V. 6
Judgment “the judges”
Jesus “the door”
the cross – “the door post”
the piercing – the Bible “the aul” the ear – Rom. 10:17
1. The judges
2. John 14
3. Work of Holy Spirit
- Christ and the cross
1. Door – Jesus
2. Door post – the cross
- A cutting or piercing
1. The instrument – Hebrews 4:12; Romans 10:17
2. The operation – Colossians 2:11-13
- THE PROOF – V. 6 “he shall serve him forever”
Paul said of Timothy, You know the proof of him that he SERVED with me in the gospel.
Jesus said, If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- Service is the proof of liberty
- Service is the proof of loyalty
- Service is the proof of love
|Michael D. O’Neal (Proverbs 11:30), Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church
P.O. Box 3071 (237 Lockett Station Road), Albany, GA 31706
(229) 432-0039 (church) / (229) 698-2127 (parsonage)
*Scriptures in my notes are from the Authorized Version 1611 -KJV- and are used by permission of the Author – Ephesians. 6:17*
“Prepare For War in 2004”