Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, February 29, 2004, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE BATTLEFIELD OF FAITHFULNESS
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Numbers 12:1-12
Text: Numbers 12:7
Numbers 12:7 My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.
Introduction: PREPARE FOR WAR IN 2004!
Christians are under attack, and many of them do not even know it! Forces are at work, endeavoring to undermine the things of God in the lives of people.
One of the greatest areas of spiritual warfare is that of FAITHFULNESS.
Faithfulness is dependability, trustworthiness, reliability, and stick-to-it-iveness.
The Bible says a lot about the topic:
FAITHFUL is in the Bible in 78 verses
FAITHFULNESS is in 19 verses
I’m glad that the Lord is faithful. He is the only one who is COMPLETELY faithful, and who can be COMPLETELY TRUSTED.
Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
Jesus’ name is Faithful:
Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
God is faithful, and He wants YOU to be faithful.
I want to point out to you that one of the great arenas of Christian warfare in America is:
THE BATTLEFIELD OF FAITHFULNESS
It’s a battle. The devil doesn’t want you to be faithful. The world will lay traps to prevent your faithfulness. The flesh will oppose it.
I. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF THE RARITY OF FAITHFULNESS
Proverbs 20:6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?
He is “an endangered species.”
Psalms 12:1 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
A. Let’s proclaim GOD’S faithfulness, not our own!
1. The resumes are plenteous, but the RELIABLE workers are few!
B. Let’s pursue faithfulness
C. Let’s pray for faithful workers
II. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF THE REQUIREMENT OF FAITHFULNESS
1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
A. We need to be faithful in ministry (stewardship)
1. 1 Corinthians 4:2
2. God is not look for ABILITY, but for DEPENDability and RELIability!
B. We need to be faithful in money
1. Luke 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
2. Tithes and offerings
3. Paying bills
4. Spending less than we earn
C. We need to be faithful in our mouths
1. Psalms 5:9a For there is no faithfulness in their mouth …
D. We need to be faithful in our message
1. Proverbs 25:13 As the cold of snow in the time of harvest, so is a faithful messenger to them that send him: for he refresheth the soul of his masters.
2. Faithful with the gospel message, faithful with going, and faithful in giving it out!
III. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF RESISTANCE AGAINST FAITHFULNESS
2 Timothy 4:10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus
1. They show up for a visit at times of church services
2. Family members who do the same
1. Sunday sports and hobbies
C. Profit – overtime
D. Pain – discomfort
IV. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF THE ROAD TO FAITHFULNESS
Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
A. Follow the Savior
B. Follow the saints who are following Him
1. Abraham – Galatians 3:9
2. Moses – Numbers 12:7 (first occurrence of “faithful”)
3. David – 1 Samuel 22:14
4. Daniel – Daniel 6:4
5. Timothy – 1 Corinthians 4:7
6. Great preachers of yesterday and today
7. Faithful people in your own church
C. Feed on the scriptures
1. They will help you be grounded with a firm foundation
2. They will help you grow and be built up in the faith – Acts 20:32
V. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF REWARDS FOR FAITHFULNESS
Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
A. Responsibility in ministry
1. 2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
2. Luke 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
3. 1 Timothy 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
B. Ruling in the millennium
1. Luke 19:17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
C. Recognition by the Master
1. Matthew 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Michael D. O’Neal (Proverbs 11:30), Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church