Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, July 04, 2004, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE BREAD FROM HEAVEN
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Exodus 16:1-20
Text: Exodus 16:4
Exodus 16:4 Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.
Introduction: O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.
My desire tonight is to once again show you our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the writings of Moses. We remember that Jesus said:
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
We know that the “scriptures” referred to the writings of Moses, such as our scripture tonight, based on the Lord’s statement a few verses later;
John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
Now turn with me to John 6, where we will read verses 30-58 (READ).
Jesus said that HE is the bread from heaven, the bread of God, and the bread of life!
I love wheat bread, Hawaiian bread, homemade bread, but my favorite bread is JESUS bread!
I. THE BREAD WAS UNUSUAL IN ITS DESIGN
Exodus 16:14 And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.
A. Its size
1. “a small round thing”
2. “thing” – compare with Luke 1:35
B. Its shape
2. The word shape only occurs twice in the Bible.
3. The first is in Luke 3:22, where the Holy Ghost descended in bodily shape like a dove.
4. The other is in John 5:37, where Jesus said that the people had not seen the Father’s shape.
5. That just leaves one member of the Trinity, the Son of God, and His shape was that of the man Christ Jesus!
C. Its situation
1. “on the ground”
2. Thank God that Jesus came from heaven to the earth. He came to the GROUND.
3. Then He fell INTO the ground in His death:
4. John 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
II. THE BREAD WAS UNKNOWN IN ITS IDENTITY
Exodus 16:15 And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat.
Manna means “what is it?”
John 8:19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.
A. He was unknown to His own household
1. His own brethren didn’t even believe in Him at one time.
B. He was unknown to the Hebrews
1. John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
2. Acts 3:17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
C. He was unknown to the heathen
1. John 18:33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
2. John 18:38a Pilate saith unto him, What is truth?
III. THE BREAD WAS UNIVERSAL IN ITS SUFFICIENCY
Exodus 16:16 This is the thing which the LORD hath commanded, Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents.
Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
He fed the multitude, and He can feed you …
A. If you are hungry
B. If you are hell-bound
C. If you are hopeless and helpless
IV. THE BREAD WAS UNAPPRECIATED BY THE WICKED
Exodus 16:19-20 And Moses said, Let no man leave of it till the morning. 20 Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning, and it bred worms, and stank: and Moses was wroth with them.
Numbers 21:5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
A. They delayed in taking it
B. They despised it (Numbers 21:5)
C. They drew God’s wrath
1. Your attitude toward God is seen by the way you treat His word
2. Are you reading it?
3. Do you obey it?
Michael D. O’Neal (Proverbs 11:30), Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church