Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday evening, February 22, 2004, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE ONLY FOUNDATION
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 3:1-11
Text: 1 Corinthians 3:11
1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Introduction: God’s people, the church, are compared to
1. A body
2. A brotherhood
3. A bride and
4. A building
As a building, Christ is the only foundation for the people of God. That is true doctrinally and positionally. The Christian should be sure that he realizes its truth practically, as well.
In constructing a building,
1. The foundation must be considered first.
2. The foundation has to be right.
3. Windows, walls, and the roof are important, but the foundation is indispensable.
4. A wise masterbuilder lays a firm, strong foundation.
I want us to consider three areas tonight in which Christ is the only, sure, VITAL foundation.
I. JESUS IS THE FOUNDATION FOR SALVATION
2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
A salvation built upon anything other than the person of Jesus Christ is doomed to fail!
A. He IS the gospel
1. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 – The message that saves is about a MAN.
2. To preach the gospel we must preach CHRIST (Acts 5:42), not a church, nor system of theology.
B. He is the grounds of our assurance
1. As wrote the hymnist, “my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.”
C. He is the guarantee of our acceptance
1. We are “accepted in the beloved”
2. Jesus IS “the beloved” (John 3:16)
3. We who are in “the beloved” are “accepted”!
II. JESUS IS THE FOUNDATION FOR SERVICE
Read 1 Cor. 3:11-15
A. He is our REASON for service
1. 1 Corinthians 3:13 “… of what SORT it is.”
2. Our motives will be judged someday.
3. It is a mistake to give someone a job in God’s work to make him faithful. Only those who love the Lord enough to do it for HIM are serving Him properly.
B. He is our RECIPE for service
1. Mary’s guidance at the marriage is still good today: “… whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.” (John 2:5)
2. Our race should be run “looking unto JESUS” (Hebrews 12:2)
C. He is our REWARD for service
1. His smile
2. His peace
3. His fellowship
4. His commendation
5. His crown
III. JESUS IS THE FOUNDATION FOR THE STORM
Luke 6:47-49 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. 49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
A. Storms which threaten your family
B. Storms which threaten your finances
C. Storms which threaten your fellowship with God
D. Storms which threaten your faith and faithfulness
Michael D. O’Neal (Proverbs 11:30), Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church