Below are notes to a sermon preached Sunday morning, June 27, 2004, at Gospel Light Baptist Church, Albany, Georgia.
THE PIECES OF THE ARMOR OF GOD:
THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT
By Michael D. O’Neal Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church Albany, Georgia
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 6:10-20
Text: Ephesians 6:17
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Introduction: “Prepare for War in 2004.” Christians are under attack, and they don’t even believe it. We have had three families lose the battle to Satan in the last two months, and they probably aren’t even aware of it. You could be next.
The GOOD news is that God has provided armor so that we can stand successfully against Satan:
Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Today I want to emphasize the need to daily take “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: ”
A few remarks about the Christian’s sword, the Bible:
1. It is solitary – the only OFFENSIVE weapon in the armor.
2. It is singular – exceptional and outstanding.
3. It is spiritual – given by the Holy Spirit, it is the only way to defeat the spiritual onslaughts of our spiritual enemies.
4. It is sharp – sharper than any two edged sword (Hebrews. 4:12).
5. It is strong – stronger than any sword or any foe.
This morning I want to give you four practical ways in which you can TAKE the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, on a daily basis.
I. TAKE IT IN
Nehemiah 8:3 And he read therein before the street that was before the water gate from the morning until midday, before the men and the women, and those that could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law.
A. Listen to it (hear)
B. Look at it (read)
C. Let it sink in
II. THINK IT THROUGH
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
A. Research it
B. Rightly divide it
1. Persons – Jews, Gentiles, church of God
2. Periods – dispensations
C. Remember it
D. Relate it to what you hear and see in the world
III. TALK IT UP
Jeremiah 23:28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.
A. Declare it in soul-winning
B. Discuss it with the saints
C. Drive it home with the seducers
1. Paul disputed daily with false teachers
IV. TRY IT OUT
Psalms 149:6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
A. In raising your children
1. The belt (or paddle, but a switch is preferred) is better than a backhand, and the Bible is better than the Boys or Girls Club for straightening out your children
B. In relationships with others
1. Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
C. In reaching conclusions
1. Romans 3:4a God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;
D. In resisting the devil
When under attack:
1. Read the Bible!
2. Recite the Bible!
3. Remember the Bible!
4. Reflect the Bible’s teaching in your life!
5. Rely on the Bible!
Michael D. O’Neal (Proverbs 11:30), Pastor, Gospel Light Baptist Church